5628 Math Sciences Building
Portal Description and Usage
The purpose of the IDRE Portal is to provide a state-of-the-art presentation and meeting facility for UCLA faculty researchers, to provide a meeting place for scheduled IT governance and policy groups, and to host OIT/IDRE-sponsored classes, seminars and presentations.
Beyond these three main purposes the Portal is made available for campus events on a scheduled basis that makes effective use of OIT/IDRE’s Events and Infrastructure Support resources. While OIT/IDRE strives to provide flexibility to the campus in using the Portal, all events are subject to facility and staff availability and must be approved and scheduled through the OIT/IDRE Events team (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Scheduling is subject to available OIT/IDRE resources, other events and Portal maintenance.
Portal Operation Policy
The OIT/IDRE Events Group and the Front Desk Staff are responsible for maintaining the Portal infrastructure and providing support for meetings and events. The basic Portal services are provided Monday through Friday during normal business hours, and include:
- Scheduling of Portal events. To schedule your meeting or event send an email to email@example.com. Some of the details which you will be asked to provide are as follows:
- Estimated number of people that will be attending the event must be supplied.
- Requested Configuration of the Portal’s furniture based on the type of event that is being planned
- Will the event be catered?
- Coordination with the event sponsor for catering. (Note that the responsibility for ordering food rests with the group scheduling the event. We ask that a copy of the catering order be sent to the OIT/IDRE Events team along with an explanation of how the refreshments will be set up. It is your responsibility to see that all refreshments and catering items are removed from the Portal and that the room is clean.
- Cleanup of the Portal after the event
- Setup of the Portal AV system to accommodate the scheduled event
- AV support, such as video taping, video conferencing, or complex set-up specific to scheduled events may be available at a charge to the event sponsor. For information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Events taking place outside of normal operating hours are not generally scheduled; however, exceptions can be made on a case-by-case basis. Events that are permitted to be scheduled outside of the 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday timeframe are subject to staff availability and a recharge for staff overtime. Contact email@example.com for special requests. Normal OIT/IDRE recharge rates will be applied for these special requests.
Content and Presentations
Groups will provide all content for their Portal presentation. Ideally digital content – PowerPoint slides, videos, websites, etc. – should be provided to the OIT/IDRE Events Team approximately 24 hours before the scheduled event.
The Portal has the technology available to show interactive, computer-generated models, however the presentation of these models must be made by the model creator of his representative. OIT/IDRE staff are not available to present models.
UCLA Classes and School Visits
The Portal is not available as a facility for regularly scheduled UCLA classes. However, certain UCLA classes may be scheduled in the Portal, following these guidelines:
- Class is scheduled on a one-time basis
- Class has a specific need for Portal content or technology
- A speaker is provided by the faculty member to present their content; OIT/IDRE does not have staff available to deliver discipline-specific content or fly models
School Visits and Field Trips
The Portal can be made available to schools, following these guidelines:
- Sixth grade classes and higher only; the Portal does not have content relevant for students in lower grades.
- Classes must have a specific interest in Portal content (e.g. Roman Forum, etc.)
- School-supplied adult supervision is required.
- The Portal is not an appropriate facility for schools to hold assemblies with their own content.
- A speaker and “flyer” must be arranged by the teacher to present Portal content; OIT/IDRE does not have staff available to deliver discipline-specific content or fly models.
‘In the Portal’
- Any problems or issues encountered in the Portal should be reported immediately to OIT/IDRE Event staff.
- Event should begin and end as scheduled.
- No items should be tacked, nailed, or pinned onto the walls, furniture, etc. Post-its are allowed.
- Noise levels should be maintained at a comfortable level as not to disrupt surrounding staff offices and classrooms.
- Deliveries of event materials must be managed by event organizers. Storage of event materials will not be provided for event materials prior to and after event.
- Meeting attendees must use designated area only. Use of adjacent conference rooms is not permitted without prior consent and scheduling.
Catering, Food and Alcohol in the Portal
- Catering must be ordered through UCLA Catering or ASUCLA Catering and a copy of the order must be given to the OIT/IDRE Events team at least 24 hours in advance of the event.
- All food and catering costs and arrangements are the responsibility of the event host.
- The event host must make the OIT/IDRE Events team aware of all catering arrangements, including whether alcohol will be served.
- All food and catering items must be removed by the host group within one hour of the end of the event.
- White wine only is allowed. No other alcoholic beverages can be served in the Portal.
- Absolutely no guests under the age of 21 can be in the Portal if alcohol is to be served.
Technology in the Portal
The Portal’s AV system is well-suited for theatre style events with up to 70 attendees, classroom style events with up to 45 attendees, and meetings with number of attendees depending upon room setup.
- Two Panasonic projectors are used in conjunction with edge-blending technology to project a seamless image across a 20-foot wide by 7-foot high screen (the screen resolution is 3840 x 1200).
- The Portal has multiple AV connection boxes throughout the room. This makes it easy to position video cameras, laptops, videoconferencing devices and teleconferencing units almost anywhere in the room.
- Tandberg videoconferencing and Polycom teleconferencing are supported.
- Videotaping with live editing is built in to the Portal. (Videotaping is available at an additional cost.)
- Two Apple AirPlay devices can provide wireless streaming support for iOS devices.
- Blu-Ray and 5.1 surround sound are available.
- A variety of microphones consisting of both wired and wireless, handheld, desktop and lavalier are available for use in the Portal.
OIT/IDRE Staff in the Portal
The Portal has sophisticated technology and requires OIT/IDRE staff be present to operate it at all events. If an event goes past the 5 p.m. end of the working day, there will be a charge for staff time.