There are currently three services offered by the IDRE Research Technology Group.
Cost – The cost for one terabyte of HPC storage for a period of one year is currently $310.
This rate includes the physical storage space, infrastructure to support it, administration of the users of your storage space, hardware and software upgrades and problem fixes. It does not include backups. See below. This rate will remain in effect until renewed through the campus. The current rate was approved in April 2015. Note that if you are using federal funds these charges will incur overhead (currently 54% as of March, 2014) as they are considered a service and not equipment, which would be exempt from overhead. See: http://www.research.ucla.edu/ocga/sr2/idcinfo.htm#FA1 for current rates.
Backups – No backups will be done on your data unless you specifically ask for this service. Although we have made every effort possible to ensure reliability and fault-tolerance of our storage systems there is no guarantee that you will not lose your data.
Cost – Backup of 1TB of storage for one year is an additional $149.35 for a total of $459.35 a terabyte per year.
To purchase HPC storage, please go to https://rim.idre.ucla.edu/secure/storage.php
For more information on this service see: https://idre.ucla.edu/resources/shared-storage/hpc-storage
Cloud Archival Storage Service (CASS)
- Storage is sold in units of a terabyte (TB*) for a period of one to five years.
- Rates listed below are per terabyte, per year.
- The funding source code determines which rate table to use.
- Pricing is per transaction. This means additional storage purchases are not cumulative with respect to volume or time discounts applied to previous purchases.
- Storage is currently available only to University of California (UC) entities.
- Rates are current as of November 1, 2013 and are subject to change without notice.
- Note that if you are using federal funds these charges will incur overhead (currently 54%) as they are considered a service and not equipment, which would be exempt from overhead. See: http://www.research.ucla.edu/ocga/sr2/idcinfo.htm#FA1 for current rates.
To discuss CASS or order storage contact Scott Friedman email@example.com.
To determine the cost per terabyte, first find the row containing the total amount of storage you require. Then follow across to the column corresponding to the number of years required. Multiply that rate times the total number of TBs and the number of years to determine the total transaction cost.
|1 Year||2 Years||3 Years||4 Years||5 Years|
|1 – 7 TB*||$156.74||$141.06||$134.79||$128.53||$125.39|
|8 – 15 TB||$137.93||$133.23||$128.53||$125.39||$122.26|
|16 – 31 TB||$131.66||$128.53||$124.61||$122.26||$120.69|
|32 – 63 TB||$128.53||$125.39||$121.47||$120.37||$119.12|
* 1TB = 1,000,000,000,000 bytes
For more information on CASS see: https://idre.ucla.edu/cass
The cost of one HPC Compute Node is $5,092.81 as of September 2016. This node features 2 x 12-core Intel Xeon E5-2650v4 CPUs, running at 2.2GHz, with 128GB of memory, local SSD storage and 5 years of support from Silicon Mechanics. Included is full access to these cores through the Hoffman2 Shared Cluster queuing system, administration of the group and users of your compute resources with complete support of the hardware and the operating system. If you make use of MPI through Infiniband there are additional costs of $953.89 per node beyond the base node price for the hardware necessary to connect you to our Infiniband fabric.
If you are interested in adding additional memory, more cores, larger hard drives/SSDs, or GPUs to your compute nodes please let us know.
For questions or to order compute nodes please contact Bill Labate firstname.lastname@example.org
Information and usage policy for the Hoffman2 Shared Cluster is available here: https://idre.ucla.edu/resources/hpc/hoffman2-cluster