VSim 2.0 BETA Version Now Available!
VSim 2.0 BETA is now available for downloading and testing in both Windows and Mac versions! VSim 2.0 offers significant improvements over the prototype, and includes advanced font and text controls, scroll bars for both the Narrative and Embedded Resources Bars, more file import options, and improved filtering and editing capabilities for the embedded resources, among many new and improved features. The software is also responsive, so narrative overlays will adapt to changes in the size of the simulation window. VSim was funded by the NEH, and the beta files were posted in December 2018. Please report any reproducible problems to Lisa M. Snyder.
- The Windows BETA version of VSim 2.0.
- The Mac BETA version of VSim 2.0.
- VSim 2.0 Abridged Users Guide.
- The Pantheon test model for use with VSim 2.0.
Directions for installing VSim 2.0 for Windows
- Create a VSim folder on your hard drive.
- Download the .zip file into that folder (and download the sample model and users guide as desired).
- Unzip the VSim .zip file (typically a right click, choose WinZip from the menu, and ‘extract to here’).
- Navigate into the release folder and double click the VSim.exe file to launch the software.
- Play the ‘PLAY ME!’ narrative for basic information about VSim 2.0 and read through the users guide.
- If you downloaded the sample model, click File -> Open … and browse for the Pantheon model.
- Use the Pantheon model to master navigation in the first person (WASD), flight, and object rotation modes.
- Try VSim 2.0 with your own models, files downloaded from the VSim Repository and Archive, or other content downloaded from online 3D warehouses.
- VSim_TheMovie (2014) is a 12-minute video piece that illustrates the key features of the VSim prototype (similar enough to VSim 2.0 to be useful)
- VSim Prototype Tutorial on YouTube (2013) captured at the Humanities Heritage NEH Summer Institute (NEH Advanced Topics in the Digital Humanities Summer Institute, The Center for Digital Initiatives, Arkansas State University)
- Digital Karnak (2015) a presentation by Elaine A. Sullivan and Lisa M. Snyder captured through WebEx; the initial ~42 minutes is a basic presentation, followed by ~30 minutes of discussion)
- Digital Dialogues presentation featuring VSim (2013) captured at MITH: Maryland Institute for Technology in the Humanities, University of Maryland
The VSim Prototype and the Digital Karnak Publication Prototype
The VSim prototype was released in 2013. The VSim Repository and Archive includes copies of both the software and a version of the Digital Karnak Publication Prototype good through December 31, 2019. To download those items, please visit the Digital Karnak project pages. The IDRE website archive also includes information about the prototype and the early versions of the software. (NOTE: the Digital Karnak Publication Prototype in the IDRE website archive has expired; please download the version posted on the VSim Repository and Archive instead. The Karnak team is working on a new version of the file for VSim 2.0 and will post that file as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please e-mail Lisa M. Snyder.)